- 10 km of pristine snowshoe trails winding through a 200 year old forest of magnificent 100 foot tall maple beech and oak trees.
- Snowshoe across the 420 ft. suspension bridge, offering a 10,000 square kilometer winter wonderland view of Georgian Bay and surrounding countryside.
- Spectacular lookouts from the highest point of the Niagara Escarpment, set in one of Canada’s six UNESCO biosphere reserves.
- High altitude conditions. Perched high atop the mountain, the unique geographic location provides an excellent elevation for snow conditions and consistent temperatures.
- Guided night snowshoe hikes.
- Three well marked and rated levels of difficulty: 1km of easy trails, 6 km of moderate trails and an expert trail which extends beyond.
How much time should I plan?
Enjoy an entire day of snowshoeing. Your day pass allows in/out privileges. Half day passes are available after 2pm. The last Nordic admission is 3:30pm.
- Snowshoe responsibility code is in effect: please keep off cross country ski trails, follow the colour designated snowshoe trails and respect your physical limits.
- For your comfort, we recommend you wear boots which cover your ankles (and higher!). Lightweight, flexible hiking boots are okay. Running shoes are not preferred.
- The newest technology in snowshoe equipment by leading manufacturers is available to rent for youth and adults. If you don’t have appropriate footwear, a limited supply of snowboots or cross country ski boots may be rented.
+ View Equipment Rentals
+Download Equipment Rental Contract
- Near the end of each season, a portion of rental equipment is sold at a discount price. Contact us for details.
- Guided night snowshoe hikes are available upon request. Reservations are required.
- Four first aid stations are located throughout the trails. A defibrillator is stationed at the main lodge and key staff members have First Aid certification.
- Facilities include: warm-up chalet, snack bar, change rooms.
- Nordic groups may request a private building for apres-ski activities.
- Season passes offer discount prices:
+ Download Nordic Season Pass Benefits 2016-2017
+ Download Nordic Centre Season Pass Liability Waiver 2016-17
- Special School discounts, Group rates
- Gift Certificates are available
- Scenic Caves 3 Pass package
- Ski 3 Passports available (ski/snowshoe 3 Nordic Centres: Highlands Nordic, Wasaga Nordic and Scenic Caves Nordic)
+ Download Ski 3 poster
- The Nordic Centre is open throughout the holiday season (weather-permitting).
- Dogs are not permitted on the trails.
You step slowly onto the platform and grip the handrail tightly, as you begin your snowshoe trek 420 feet across Southern Ontario‘s longest suspension footbridge. Through the trees, you catch a glimpse of the valley floor beneath, but it seems you’re suspended even higher in the air. Far below and spread before you lies a breathtaking 10,000-square-kms view. With a sturdy wire fence lining the walkway, even the smallest adventurer can see everything.
Enjoy a variety of snowshoe trails to suit any experience level, from ‘Lookout Trail’ to the expert “Ironman Trail’. The newest addition is ‘Paradise’…a secluded trek meandering through hawthorne and apple trees, opening out to breathtaking hillside views of Georgian Bay.
Nuthatches, Snowy Owls, Blue Jays, Chickadees and Hawks are regularly seen on the trails, along with deer, winter hares, porcupines and squirrels.
After an adventure through this magical wonderland, share some hot food and drink around the woodstove in the rustic chalet.
Snowshoeing has been around for thousands of years, since the time of fur trappers. It is now considered to be the fastest growing winter sport. You don’t have to be experienced. If you can walk, you can snowshoe, making it a wonderful family adventure. It’s comparatively inexpensive, requires minimal equipment, offers little risk of injury and is a great way to get winter exercise while exploring nature.
Snowshoe Trail Map
Trail and Weather Reports
During the winter season, our staff members update the trail conditions and weather reports early each morning to offer you ‘up to the minute’ information.
Snowshoe Events 2016-2017
There will not be a Tubbs Romp to Stomp Ontario fundraiser at Scenic Caves Nordic Centre.