• 1 ½ to 2 hour guided night snowshoe hike (approximately 4 kilometers)
• Professional staff members guide your group along scenic trails, sharing personal stories about the habitat.
• Discover animal nightlife, beautiful wooded trails and natural spectacular lookouts.
• Cherish the tranquility and breathe in the forest fragrances.
• Moonlight and stars contrast with shadows to create a dramatic setting for adventure.
How much time should I plan?
The guided night snowhsoe hikes depart at 6pm and return by approximately 7:30 – 8pm. Please arrive at least 20-30 minutes in advance. Park in the main parking lot (not the Eco / Administration parking lot).
• A headlamp is provided for you.
• What to wear: Dress in layers appropriate for the weather conditions (remember it’s nighttime). Wear warm, waterproof, supportive hiking boots or sturdy winter boots. Running shoes are not recommended.
• Recommended for 8 -10 yrs. of age and older (some stamina is involved).
• No experience is necessary.
• Energy level required: moderate depending on the group. It’s not a race, but a relaxing tromp through the woods, allowing you to stop for rests along the way.
• Cold snacks and drinks are available to purchase at the snack bar as well as coffee and hot cider (kitchen is closed at night for hot foods).
• During the winter, hikes are scheduled for most Saturday nights (weather permitting) plus additional nights.
• During the spring (after ‘daylight savings time’), ‘sunset’ hikes are scheduled on Saturday evenings.
• Reservations are required (preferably a minimum of two-three days in advance). Spaces may still be available on the day of. Call to reserve: (705) 446-0256 ext. 222
• A minimum of 4 people are required for a hike to be scheduled. Generally, between 7–15 guests are scheduled in a group.
• The guided night hikes run weather-permitting. If the weather is inclement forcing the hike to be cancelled, a decision is generally made two hours before departure. Please be sure to provide all contact numbers, when you reserve.
Guided Night Snowshoe Schedule 2016-2017
Time: 6pm – 7:45pm’ish. Please arrive between 5:30 – 5:45 to prepare your equipment, etc.
Wed. Jan 4, 2017
Sat Jan 7
Sat. Jan 14
Sat. Jan 21
Sat. Jan 28
Sat. Feb 4, 2017
Sat. Feb 11
Sat. Feb 18 (Family Day Weekend)
Sun. Feb 19 (Family Day Weekend)
Sat. Feb 25 – t.b.a.
Sat. Mar 11
Wed. Mar 15
Sat. Mar 18
Adults/Seniors/Youth with snowshoe rental – $40
Without snowshoe rental – $30
Season Passholders – reservations are still required
Payment is made at time of reservation. No refunds for cancellations.
The Guided Night Snowshoe Adventure
Strap on your snowshoes and adventure through a winter wonderland at night under a canopy of stars. Beginning with warming up through entertaining exercises and games, you head out for a 1 ½ to 2 hour romp on trails that wind through majestic 100 foot tall trees. The headlamps illuminate your path of glistening powder snow creating an enchanting world of continually changing shapes. It’s both mysterious and exhilarating. There are a variety of animals and tracks to keep an eye out for – porcupines, deer, racoons, rabbits and winter birds. Did you hear the cry of a snowy owl? The climb up to “Lookout point” is well worth the effort. On a clear night you view the glow of the ski hills and the sparkling lights of villages and towns. You stride with rhythm beside shallow creeks, through open fields, up and down the rises and falls of the silhouetted backdrop. With the crunch of snow under your feet, you descend down the Escarpment to the 420 ft. suspension footbridge where the expansive glittering panorama against the stark black shadow of Georgian Bay takes your breath away. Upon returning to the main cabin, you’re greeted with a steaming cup of hot chocolate.
The adventure fills you with a sense of pride, having communed with nature like a Canadian “coureur des bois”.